Over 10 years experience as a developer of mission-critical web, database, and systems integration software. Can work independently to lead complex projects. Able to understand business needs, communicate with users and staff, and generate new ideas to solve problems.
Software Engineer/Systems Designer, Partners HealthCare
Technical lead for critical application at a nonprofit hospital system, supporting new business processes while finding innovative ways to improve performance, reliability, and usability.
- ASP.NET, C#
- InterSystems Caché and Ensemble
- Web Services: SOAP, XML, WCF, WS-Security
- Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
Lead developer for enhancements to ASP.NET application used for management of a database of over 5 million patients.
- Upgraded entire application from ASP.NET version 1.1 to 3.5 and then to 4.0.
- Developed custom controls make to data entry and display more consistent and usable.
- Used jQuery and ASP.NET AJAX to make the application more modern and responsive.
- Worked with business analysts and users to make the application faster and easier to use.
- Cleaned and refactored existing HTML and C# code.
- Designed utilities for business analysts to monitor data flow and business service responses.
Database/Application Server Projects
Supported identity management system (Enterprise Master Patient Index) for Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and 200+ affiliated clinical sites.
- Developed new features to support constantly changing business requirements.
- Advocated best practices in object-oriented and normalized database design, balanced with the use of high-performance, often legacy, code.
- Worked with other departments and organizations to troubleshoot transactions and web service integration.
- Debugged critical issues affecting performance, reliability, and data integrity.
- Supported major upgrades, including Windows to Unix server migration, and deployment of a new enterprise-wide patient registration system.
- Ensured quality code for complex logic using Unit Testing and a Test-Driven Development.
- Worked as part of a team providing 24×7 support.
- Improved deployment procedures and use of configuration management tools.
- Working a vendor on technical evaluation of a new critical transaction processing component.
- Completed Management Certificate training including Project Management, Conflict Communication, and Presentation Skills.
- Represented team at conferences.
- As participant in Innovation Program, presented to senior management concept for provider/patient web site, designed to improve clinical workflow in response to healthcare reform.
August 2004-February 2007
Developer for a client/server business application used by over 3,000 field service companies for CRM, accounting, and operations management. Lead efforts to improve data quality and reliability of the software and build process.
C#/.NET, Microsoft SQL Server 2000/2005, XML, Visual Basic 6.0, COM Interop, InstallShield, DB Ghost, MbUnit, Visual Build Professional, Perforce
- Created database backup, configuration, and error-checking tools. Initially for internal support, these programs were later bundled with the application for deployment to customer sites.
- Enhanced an application with over 500 classes and half a million lines of code with service-oriented design.
- Worked with product management and QA to add features to increase the market share.
- Built XML and QuickBooks accounting integration.
- Developed time card screen with custom, intuitive keystroke handling for high-speed data entry.
- Upgraded application to support SQL Server 2005, while maintaining backwards compatibility with SQL Server 2000.
- Implemented daily build process with automated unit testing; assisted with implementing Perforce version control software and determining branching strategy.
- Designed and implemented database change management system providing version-controlled schema and automated end-user upgrades, integration DB Ghost, Visual Build Professional, and Perforce with custom logic.
- Wrote data-driven upgrade test system using MbUnit combinatorial tests and ADO.NET.
- Created, maintained, and documented stored procedures and schema in an SQL Server database with over 200 tables and 700 stored procedures, with an eye toward increasing performance and relational integrity.
- Wrote specifications and use cases; attended daily Scrum meeting following an agile development methodology; served as mentor/technical lead on projects with junior developers; interacted with customers in online forums; worked with technical support staff to resolve customer issues.
- Participated in planning of software-as-a-service (Saas) version or product that could be used over the web.
February 2001-August 2004
Application Developer, DALBAR, Inc.
- Designed and implemented system for generating customized PDF market research reports for over 100 customers, using SQL Server, DTS, XML, Visual Basic, Python, ReportLab, and data warehousing techniques.
- Initiated software testing process, increasing user satisfaction and reducing errors.
- Designed and implemented new database schema, improving data quality and system performance.
- Created quality control process for database reports, ensuring consistent, accurate data for clients.
- Developed web sites to provide clients with reports, data, and interactive forums using C#, ASP.NET, SQL Server, XML, and XSL.
- Work on intranet CRM application.
- Attended “Presenting Data and Information” course by Edward Tufte
- Performed database administration tasks
- Assisted with network administration and support
July 1999-September 2000
Systems Manager, United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism
- Administered web and e-mail hosting services for the organization and its affiliates.
- Researched, recommended and implemented ListServ software for e-mail and mailing list services—one of the organization’s largest IT investments—and developed automated data conversion scripts and tests to roll out with minimal disruption to users.
- Developed database, intranet and e-commerce applications.
- Supervised student interns.
- Provided technical assistance to local and remote staff.
November 1996-July 1999
Publications Coordinator, United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism
- Developed early web site and online strategy for an international organization.
- Gained project management and communications experience overseeing the production and distribution of books, newsletters, promotional materials, and press releases.
Microsoft Certified Professional in C# and SQL Server
Zicklin School of Business, Baruch College, The City University of New York
M.S., Business Computer Information Systems, 2000
- GPA: 3.9
- Coursework in major: Systems Analysis, Database Systems, Networking and Telecommunications, Object-Oriented Programming in C++
- General business studies: Marketing, Accounting, Finance, and Human Resource Management
- As a team project following the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology, developed online stock trading application using Java Server Pages (JSP), HTML, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), and SQL
- Member of Beta Gamma Sigma, the honor society for accredited business programs
- Received departmental award for academic excellence
Washington University, St. Louis
- Major: Jewish and Near Eastern Studies
- Minor: Business Administration
- Twice named to Dean’s List
- Held leadership roles in student activities
- Study abroad experience at Tel Aviv University, Israel
Trustee, Temple Emanuel, Newton, Massachusetts
Editor, Family Service Siddur, Temple Emanuel, Newton Centre, Massachusetts
With input with synagogue staff and other volunteers, undertook the layout and editing of a customized prayerbook to make services enjoyable for all members of the family.
Currently working on an open source project using XSL to prepare a easily "remixable" version of the public domain 1917 edition of the JPS Tanakh.
While not currently an active venture, this was was a proposal for translating software and technology innovations to benefit Jewish organizations. A occassionaly-updated blog and some additional information is maintained on the JHacker.org website.