Multi-dimensional Jewish educator, cantorial student, and prayer leader.
I am experienced at listening to people of different backgrounds and knowledge levels and working in different movements and in pluralistic spaces with a value of clal Yisrael. I seek to design and craft lessons, rituals, and services; paying attention to the sacred details. Drawing on a background combining Jewish study and music with business, technology, and nonprofit work I can also create materials and provide organizational leadership supporting this mission.
I believe we can use Jewish wisdom embodied in our texts and rituals to create meaning, menschlekeit, and a better world.
Hebrew College, Newton, Massachusetts
• Candidate for Cantorial Ordination and Master of Jewish Education (MJEd)
expected completion in June 2020
• Master’s Concentration in Israel Education (iCenter iFellows)
• Legacy Heritage Fellow
Baruch College, City University of New York
• M.S., Business Computer Information Systems, 2001
Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri
• A.B., Major in Jewish and Near Eastern Studies, 1996
• Minor in Business Administration
Tel Aviv University
• Overseas Student Program
• Participated in Israel Interns for Jewish Education (former JESNA program)
Jewish Professional Experience
Cantorial Intern, Temple Aliyah, Needham, Massachusetts, 2019-present
• Will have an internship with the synagogue’s cantor in 2019-20 school year.
Reform High Holiday Service Leader, MIT Hillel, 2019
• Leading all high holiday services for a small Reform student group.
Student Cantor, Congregation Miskhkan Tefila, Brookline, Mass., 2018-present
• Led occasional Friday night and Shabbat morning services at a Conservative synagogue, as sole clergy and with the Rabbi, including Torah and Haftara reading.
4th Grade Teacher, Kahal B’raira, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 2018-2019
• Taught 4th grade Sunday school class with a teen aide at a Humanistic congregation, with a curriculum focusing on community building and American Jewish history.
Student Cantor/Intern, Shir Hadash Reconstructionist Havurah, Newton Massachusetts
• Led a Shabbat Morning service as sole clergy in February 2019, including sermon.
• Taught and led prayers along with the rabbi in connection with an internship, Fall 2018.
Student Cantor, Temple Beth Torah, Holliston, Massachusetts, 2017-2018
• Along with the rabbi, led weekly Shabbat morning services for a Conservative synagogue.
• This included “regular” weeks, b’nai mitzvah, and “co-leading” with b’nai mitzvah students.
• Led Hallel and other holiday liturgy when it fell on Shabbat, and occasional Torah reading.
Teacher, Prozdor of Hebrew College, Newton, Massachusetts, 2017-2018
• Developed and taught courses for 7-12th grade in a community supplementary school.
• Courses combined STEM/STEAM and Jewish text learning:
Theory of Jewish Food, Data Mining the Torah
Consultant, American Jewish World Service, 2017-2018
• Freelance technology project to migrate a collection of online source sheets into Sefaria.
The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, New York, New York
• Systems Manager, 1999-2000: Worked across departments and with synagogue leaders to support internal and public-facing technology projects.
• Publications Coordinator, Department of Youth Activities, 1996-1999: Produced educational and marketing materials, in print and online, in support of an international Jewish youth organization (USY); advised youth leaders and served as staff at international events.
Other Jewish Community Experience
• Short-term roles including teaching at two Conservative synagogue religious schools in Connecticut (Adath Israel and B’nai Sholom), working as a counselor at Camp Ramah of New England, and working at URJ’s Kutz Camp.
Jewish Community Involvement
Board Member, Beantown Jewish Gardens, 2017-present
• Board member of a nonprofit with a mission of Jewish education and sustainable agriculture.
• Helped with general governance, fundraising, and web site redesign.
Temple Emanuel, Newton, Massachusetts
• Ruach Shabbat Family Service: Founder, prayerbook editor, and frequent service leader and Torah reader for this parent-organized family service, 2010-2017
• Tutored my daughter for her Bat Mitzvah, 2016
• Led adult learning sessions on Pirkei Avot and Amos, 2016
• Torah and Haftarah reader for the main sanctuary service; volunteer prayer leader for lay-led services (Chapel Minyan and weekday minyan)
• Received a MOST scholarship to attend National Havurah Committee Summer Institute, 2017
• Trustee, 2009-2016
• Summer Session, August 2019
• Attended this major conference on Jewish music organized by the Mordecai Kaplan Center
Hava Nashira Song Leading Institute
• Attended in 2018
• 2014 (“Open Source Judaism 2.0”) and 2016 (“Daniel: The First Diaspora Jew?”)
Presenter, NewCAJE, 2015
• “Using Open Source Resources in Jewish Education”
Leaders in Adult Learning Fellow, Hebrew College, Newton, Massachusetts, 2014-2015
• Leaned facilitation of adult text study and community organizing
• Developed and led synagogue-based class, “Books of the Bible You Haven’t Read Yet”
Open Siddur Project/Jewish Free Culture Society
• Advised on various technical and organizational issues
Other Professional Experience
Software Engineer and Web Developer
• Various companies including healthcare, e-commerce, and nonprofit organizations such as Glytec Systems, Vistaprint, and Partners Healthcare.
• My prior experience using technical skills to make complicated ideas understandable in user interfaces transfers to using musical skill and educational techniques to make Jewish learning accessible, as well as developing my ability to work as part of a team and communicate professionally.